You’ll have to forgive me this brief motivational aside.
If you were brave enough to make any New Year’s Resolution at all this year, chances are good that you’re already well off-course by now. The good news? Change doesn’t happen on January 1. Whatever your goals and aspirations, it’s never too late to start turning things around by making just one or two different choices every day. Little changes snowball, new habits and relationships are formed, and big things happen.
This Leap Day is very different than my last.
Last February 29, there was no Country California. If you had asked me then, I’d have told you that I had no idea how to create a blog that would be seen by hundreds of thousands of people around the world. For all my early efforts to find the ‘one thing’ that would put this site over the top, catapulting it to new levels of worldwide renown, growth has been on the same slight-but-steady incline from the beginning to here. The thing that keeps it growing? Continuing to push out the best content we can, day by day and week by week. Plugging away at it. A bunch of small decisions made on an ongoing basis.
Another example, this one even closer to home:
Last February 29, I weighed 80 pounds more than I do today. I didn’t undergo a crazy surgery, hire a personal trainer to beat me up, or subscribe to any particular diet or meal plan. In fact, I didn’t even join a gym. Tired of feeling terrible all the time, I read a couple of books about how to eat more sensibly and tried to make better choices, meal by meal. As often as I could get myself to do it, I walked on a public bike path that runs along a creek by my house. Nothing too dramatic or instantaneous – it would have made for a terrible reality show – but little successes added up, and here I am feeling quite a bit better.
I offer this personal testimony not to pat myself on the back, but rather as proof of the improbable-sounding truth that a different choice you make today might, in fact, be the start of something huge down the road. In that spirit, here’s a playlist aimed at motivating you to take that leap. Go get ’em, tiger.
1. Darrell Scott – “Do It Or Die Trying”
2. Zac Brown Band – “Let It Go”
3. Guy Clark – “The Cape”
4. Garth Brooks – “Standing Outside the Fire” (no link available)
5. Dale Watson – “You Always Get What You Always Got”
6. Radney Foster – “A Little Revival”
7. Rodney Atkins – “If You’re Going Through Hell (Before The Devil Even Knows)”
8. Randy Travis – “Not Your Cross To Bear”
9. Kris Kristofferson – “Pilgrim’s Progress”
10. Travis Tritt – “No More Looking Over My Shoulder”
11. Sugarland – “Something More”
12. The Notorious Cherry Bombs – “Let It Roll, Let It Ride”
13. Drew Kennedy – “We’ve All Got Our Marks to Make”
14. Pam Tillis – “Land Of The Living”
15. Sammy Kershaw – “Better Than I Used To Be”
16. Billy Joe Shaver – “Try and Try Again”