Friday would be a good day for a list of drinking songs, but I don’t want to be responsible for any of your debauchery, so instead I’ll do a cautionary playlist about people struggling with addiction.
I tried to avoid songs that treat the subject too lightly (“Stay Away from the Cocaine Train”) or too obliquely (“The Bottle Let Me Down”) in favor of songs that look specifically at the psychology of addiction and its destructive impact on addicts and their loved ones. As always, you’re welcome to make your own additions in the Comments section.
- Bury the Bottle With Me – Robbie Fulks
- Hold Me – Gene Watson
- That’s Why I’m Here – Kenny Chesney
- You Didn’t Have a Good Time – Randy Travis
- Walk a Little Straighter – Billy Currington
- I’ve Aged Twenty Years in Five – George Jones
- Long Year – Todd Snider
- Whiskey Lullaby – Brad Paisley with Alison Krauss
- If I Could Climb the Walls of the Bottle – David Allan Coe
- Backslider’s Wine – Gary Stewart (my favorite version)
- High Cost of Living – Jamey Johnson
- Dark Side of the Spoon – Billy Don Burns
- Confessions of a Broken Man – Porter Wagoner