Here at Country California headquarters, we’re welcoming summer in the customary manner: by catching some rays and firing up the grill hiding indoors from the 100-plus degree heat, praying the air conditioner doesn’t quit. It’ll be safe to step outside again sometime in September.
Until then, we have lots and lots of good music to keep us occupied. Ancient iTunes folklore suggests that the first 20 randomly-selected songs of the season set the tone for the months ahead. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but you should probably set your media player to ‘shuffle’ and record the results below just in case. Who knows what you might find out?
With several thousand songs in circulation, here’s my own summer forecast.
- Young and Wild – Eric Church
- Grandma’s Hands – Sarah Jarosz
- Don’t Let Her Get Away – Vince Gill
- Reckless – Aaron Watson
- Love Me, Love Me – Dean Martin
- Whiskey Tears – Dierks Bentley
- Long Shot – Annie Keating
- Jambalaya (On the Bayou) – Asleep at the Wheel
- Begging to You – Marty Robbins
- My Generation, Pt. 2 – Todd Snider
- Singer of Sad Songs – Vern Gosdin
- Tears Only Run One Way – Robbie Fulks
- Love, Love, Love – Dean Martin
- T. Total Tommy – Mickey Newbury
- Down in Lousianne – Joey Allcorn
- Little Darlin’ – Buddy and Julie Miller
- Grand Parade – Hayes Carll
- Wishing Well Blues – Jeannie Kendall
- Love Song – Miranda Lambert
- Heaven in My Woman’s Eyes – Tracy Byrd