[Click the dot after each quote to visit the original source.]
People started screaming, clapping and chanting “Billy, Billy, Billy” when he emerged, wearing blue jeans, cowboy boots and a fleece “Hannah Montana” pullover. ●
– – Nothing says raw masculinity like a fleece Hannah Montana pullover.
Is there a standards problem with showing the liquor bottle? ●
– – Question from a CMT staffer at the screening for Cyrus’ “Somebody Said a Prayer” video. God forbid we show a liquor bottle on Country Music Television.
“What if it All Goes Right,” the debut single from 2008 “Nashville Star” winner Angela Lawson, charted for one week before disappearing. ●
– – If you’re going to write an article on the lack of recognition for Nashville Star winners, you might consider getting their names right.
I really look up to him, as far as his work… not to mention he’s a giant. ●
– – Kellie Pickler on Trace Adkins.
He dropped the F-bomb again when he was talking about people who didn’t want to sing along with “I’ll Never Smoke Weed With Willie Again.” And he also told us he likes to watch naked movies sometimes. Leading up to that, he had already commented on “punk-ass boys,” “titty dancers” and “all you sons of bitches in the audience.” Fortunately, amid all the talking, he sang some songs, as well. ●
– – Toby Keith is like an awkward pubescent boy whose parents have briefly stepped out of earshot.
Yeah, so sometimes in our failure, the best is yet to come.
– – Jessica Simpson dispenses nonsensical life lessons on Letterman.
Do You Know is the same cookie-cutter country that has plagued the genre since Buck Owens and June Carter Cash left the music scene. ●
– – I’m all for calling out Jessica Simpson, but (1) When did Buck and June leave the music scene? (2) Did they leave together? (3) Could you possibly choose two more arbitrary figures from which to measure the decline of the genre? (4) Has mainstream country really only sucked since 2003 and/or 2006 (the passings of June and Buck, respectively)?
This was the last category I expected (to be nominated in) because there are so many new great artists out right now. I feel like a new artist, and I’ve been here 11 years. It feels great. ●
– – The last category you expected? Actually, Mr. Otto, New Artist seems like a pretty natural fit. Now, if you had shown up as a Female Vocalist or Vocal Group nominee, that would have been unexpected.
George Jones makes Chuck Norris look like Richard Simmons. ●
– – Viva Photocrap.
The thing that I think about when I play is that I’m trying to make every girl in that audience want me, and think she can have me. That’s my goal every night. ●
– – Lock up the womenfolk when Hootie (oops, Darius) comes to town.
– – Public response to Aaron Tippin’s “Drill Here Drill Now” (link).
The artists are wanting to have that success and get played on the radio and sell records. And I don’t blame them. There is some great music out there. But I think within them there is the heart for traditional country. And I feel that we’re slowly shifting back to that music. ●
– – I hope Patty Loveless is right.
Can’t get enough Quotable Country? Browse past editions in the archive.