Click the bullet after each quote to visit the original source.
What inspires me now is traditional country music. It’s the music I most cherish, the culture in which I was raised. It’s the bedrock upon which the empire of country music is built, the empowering force that provides this genre with lasting credibility. It’s beyond trends, and it’s timeless. With all that being said, I found traditional country music to be on the verge of extinction. It’s too precious to let slip away. I wanted to attempt to write a new chapter. ●
– – Man, I love Marty Stuart.
In my opinion, it’s a little watered down now. The mainstream country music that I hear–to me, it’s not really country, and it’s not really anything. So it may be pleasing to the ear, and that’s great, but as far as I’m concerned, it’s not country music. ●
– – When even genre-bender Willie has trouble calling it country…
The 2006 “Who Says You Can’t Go Home?” was, indeed, intended for a country audience, but as a Bon Jovi/Keith Urban duet to go on the “Have a Nice Day” album. However, they sounded alike and it was decided to replace Urban with a female singer. It worked and [Bon Jovi and Jennifer Nettles] were Grammy winners. ●
– – Just to be clear here, one of the leading country singers couldn’t duet with Bon Jovi because… he sounded too much like Bon Jovi. See the problem here?
When I see little Taylor Swift, I say, ‘Go go go.’ Darwin had it right. It’s much like genetic mutation. If you continue in this incestuous, homogenous genetic pool you’re going to get some freaks. You’ve got to get out there and diversify the gene pool. ●
– – Jennifer Nettles doesn’t. Or does she? It’s sort of hard to tell what she thinks she’s talking about.
And that’s what happens nowadays with people working on computers. They can so easily fix things with their mouse and take out all the, ‘Oh, somebody coughed in the background; we need to take that out’ — or somebody hit a bad note. Those are all the best moments, and that’s where music has taken a left turn and they need to get back on the road. ●
– – Jack White is all for keeping it real.
And one time I told him, I said, “You know, you did the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard you doin’.” And he said, “What was that?” And I said, “When you hired that piano player!” I said, “Johnny Cash with a piano player makes no sense at all.” I said, “What in the hell do you need with a piano player?” And he took a long pause and looked at me and said to me, “Haggard, you’re the only man in country music uglier than me.” ●
– – Merle Haggard recalls some friendly repartee with Johnny Cash.
It’s what people her age do. ●
– – Billy Ray Cyrus on a video of Miley dirty dancing with a 44-year-old movie producer.
There’s a huge void when you take that electric guitar out. So the question becomes: How do you fill that void with the right flourishes of acoustic instruments? You can’t just hit a power chord on the guitar. You have to work a little harder in how you get to the right spot, and hopefully at the end, it’s equally as interesting and powerful. The key is that it’s not just fun on the second or third listen, but that the depth is still there on the hundredth. ●
– – I don’t care for the way Dierks is talking about his bluegrass album here: “Filling the void” left by the removal of electric guitar in hopes of coming up with something “equally as interesting and powerful” as what would have existed otherwise strikes me as coming at it from the wrong angle, especially since his last album wasn’t very interesting or powerful, and straight bluegrass is already cool in and of itself. Right?
They are the best band in country music. They’re the best with their fans. Everything about them is different than anything we’ve seen before. They have the biggest hearts. ●
– – Rory (of Joey +) on the Zac Brown Band.
I’ve never had a nicer person in my kitchen before, and I never had anyone who enjoyed eating more! ●
– – Uhhh… did Hazel Smith just call Danny Gokey fat?
Like a nice country boy, Blake Shelton asked Miranda Lambert’s father for his daughter’s hand in marriage. And her daddy gave Blake his approval, so the couple took a walk near their adjoining farms in Oklahoma. Along the way, he asked the cutest girl in country music to be his bride. ●
– – AND say that Miranda’s the cutest girl in country music? Them’s fighting words to Carrie and Taylor fans.
What she brings to it is, she makes me sound terrible! (laughs) I love her voice. We started that thing and I was listening back and said, “Man, I sound pretty good there.” And when Lee Ann came on, I was like, “Ohhhh, I sound terrible!” She’s such a pure country singer. ●
– – Alan Jackson on dueting with Lee Ann Womack on “Til the End.”
Discovered the beach
Disappeared up my own ass
And I ain’t back yet ●
– – Country Haiku gets extra candid.