- Connie Smith has been named the 2011 Artist-in-Residence at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. She will serve as host and curator for three intimate performances on the Ford Theater stage on August 22, August 29, and September 12. From the press release:
“Connie Smith possesses one of the most powerful and recognizable voices in country music,” said Museum Director Kyle Young. “Her body of work includes more than 50 albums, and her signature song, ‘Once a Day,’ remains one of country music’s most popular classics. When Connie sings, she takes us on an emotional journey, wringing every teardrop and ounce of feeling from her lyrics. We are thrilled that she will be bringing those talents to the Ford Theater for three one-of-a-kind shows.”
Her new album, Long Line of Heartaches, comes out August 23.
- Taylor Swift scored six Teen Choice Awards nominations, including one for Red Carpet Fashion Icon.
- Blake Boldt interviewed Mandy Barnett for Out & About.
- In his latest Nashville Skyline column at CMT.com, Chet Flippo considers the faux Outlaw movement, focusing particularly on Justin Moore’s unfortunately-titled new album.
What’s a bit alarming is that we seem to have cultivated a generation of young, male country performers who are preoccupied with displaying Outlaw attitude and Outlaw posturing, as opposed to developing real Outlaw musical content. Some belligerent song titles graphically tell the story: “Kiss My Country Ass,” “If You Don’t Like My Twang,” “You Ain’t Seen Country Yet,” “Blame It on Waylon,” “For the Outlawz,” “I Could Kick Your Ass.”
The whole thing is worth a read.
- Evan Schlansky detailed some of the history of “Man of Constant Sorrow” for American Songwriter. Turns out George Clooney probably didn’t write it.
- Speaking of American Songwriter, Stephen Deusner has a cover story on Justin Townes Earle. And Jewly Hight has the other cover story on Steve Earle. So you shouldn’t be hurting for good things to read.
- Work out like Kenny Chesney, courtesy of Men’s Health. He can do 300 pushups in 10 minutes.
- Tonight on the Opry: JaneDear Girls, Rodney Atkins, Darius Rucker, The Isaacs, The Whites, Marty Stuart, Connie Smith, lots of other folks. Tomorrow night: Troy Olsen, Jimmy Wayne, Steve Wariner, Joe Diffie, etc. Tune in live (7PM CST) at WSM Online.
- Marty Stuart and the Fabulous Superlatives on Letterman this past Wednesday: