– Chelle Rose, for releasing one of the best “where’d THAT come from?” records of 2012. Ghost of Browder Holler, out yesterday, has even the New York Times taking notice. Guest spots by Ray Wylie Hubbard (who produced) and Elizabeth Cook don’t hurt, but it’s Rose’s own writing/performing voice and gutsy Appalachian rock style that make the biggest impression. In terms of roots music epiphanies, this reminds me of the first time I heard Chris Knight.
– Country California readers, for not making a big deal of our fourth birthday last month. We’re getting to the age where it’s really kind of embarrassing.
– This guy, for pretending to be Brantley Gilbert. Really, of all the people to pretend to be!
– Eric Church, for general (well-documented) douche-y behavior and denying that he has attempted to cultivate an outlaw image for himself even as he sells outlaw-branded merchandise in his online store.
– Hank Jr., for welcoming Justin Timberlake into the country fold. Great… just great.