- Cumulus Media, for launching the first full-signal New York country station in 17 years. Even if you’re no fan of media consolidation – as the nation’s second-largest broadcaster, Cumulus already operates 525 stations – country being back in New York after such a long absence is a big deal.
- Mercury Records, for scheduling a March 19 release for Kacey Musgraves’ major label debut, Same Trailer Different Park. Frankly, I think Musgraves has been hugely over-hyped on the basis of one song thus far, but hopefully the full album bears out the promise people are hearing in “Merry Go Round” and makes all the hoopla seem prescient. Either way, it’ll be nice to get more supporting information.
- George Strait, for selling 77,000 tickets to his March 17 show at the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo in two minutes. The cowboy’s still got it.
- Lyric videos, for being stupid and a growing trend. On the other hand, at least we don’t have to see the posturing of Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, or Eric Church in this video for “The Only Way I Know.”
- Charlie Daniels, for continually dispensing nonsensical wisdom like this on Twitter:
The right thing is sometimes the hardest thing but it is always the right thing.Let’s all make the day count.
— Charlie Daniels (@CharlieDaniels) January 23, 2013
The right thing is always the right thing, huh? Thanks for the moral insight, hoss.
- CMT, for pairing Rascal Flatts and Journey in a special Super Bowl XLVII CMT Crossroads concert set to tape and air the night before the big game. Because nothing says “Are you ready for some football!?” like aging arena rockers desperately clinging to their youth… and, also, Journey.