– The good folks at WSM, for making Sunday’s “Celebration of Life for Earl Scruggs” at the Ryman Auditorium listenable worldwide on their website.
– The Pistol Annies, who will record their second album in the fall. Backstage at the ACMs, Miranda Lambert gave some insight into what fans can expect: “The new album will be just what you expect. It’s three country girls singing about three country girls’ lives. We write everything on our own. We did on the first record. Our goal in this next record is to write everything in our family, just the three of us girls again. I’m really looking forward to it, and I’m going to start focusing on that after the summer tour.”
– The Lone Star Music Awards, for naming Stoney LaRue’s Velvet, Jason Boland & the Stragglers’ Rancho Alto, Reckless Kelly’s Good Luck & True Love, and Adam Hood’s The Shape of Things as tops in its various album categories. Also, in a nicely inclusive gesture, for giving Best Female Vocal Performance to Miranda Lambert, who was over at the ACMs winning their Album of the Year prize that same night. The full list of Lone Star Music Award nominees and winners can be found here.
– John Fogerty, for announcing his upcoming duets album just when we’re getting sick of hearing about Lionel Richie’s own similar project. Among the artists slated to sing with Fogerty: Miranda Lambert, Keith Urban, Brad Paisley, Alan Jackson, Foo Fighters, Bob Seger, My Morning Jacket. Even if the former CCR frontman’s duets collection ends up being great, his timing seems a little unfortunate.
– This guy, a possible relative of Reginald Spears, for attacking his girlfriend with a hammer after a disagreement over Reba McEntire and Loretta Lynn caused a rift in their relationship.
– Kenny Rogers or whoever, working on his behalf, showed much ill humor in forcing the Twitter jokester known as @NotKennyRogers to give up the name. Evidently, one way to incur The Gambler’s wrath is to tweet more successfully than him: fake Kenny had 18,000 followers, to the verified account’s 4,000. Fake Kenny can now be found at the equally pseudonymous-sounding handle of @GordonVonPants. (You can do some recon on “Gordon” and come up with a real name easily enough, if you’re bored.)