– National Public Radio, for making Mountain Stage performances from Matraca Berg (5 songs) and Billy Joe Shaver (8 songs) streamable on their website. Berg does “Your Husband’s Cheating on Us,” “You and Tequila,” “Strawberry Wine,” “The Dreaming Fields,” and “Oh Cumberland.” Some set list!
– Keith Urban, for raising a bunch of money for the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum with his “All for the Hall” benefit concert last night. Don Williams and Merle Haggard both made surprise appearances, and co-host Vince Gill invited Urban to join the Grand Ole Opry.
– Randy Travis, for providing a steady stream of tabloid fodder over the past couple years. The latest allegation is that he breached the management contract he signed with his ex-wife, terminating her and sending an armed guard to her Music Row office to take a bunch of property.
– Merle Haggard, or whoever working on his behalf set up the new (verified) @merlehaggard Twitter page, which follows the accounts of Rascal Flatts and Hunter Hayes. Not sure why Merle’s playing nice with these guys, but here’s hoping there are no covers of “Banjo” or “Storm Warning” on his next album.
– Montgomery Gentry, for thinking this was a good idea: